A Wellness Practice Begins With You: Wellness Week
7:00am – 5:00pm
Daily Lunch provided at Birch featuring the award winning Executive Chef Jeffrey Kessenich
The first night of the course, attendees are invited to attend a “Welcome Reception” at Birch where they can better acquaint themselves with other classmates and the Kois Center Team.
This course provides 30.5 continuing education credit hours and includes lecture and discussion.
Implementing health and wellness concepts in private practice can have huge benefits in the health of your patients, your practice, and your team – but it must start with you! Knowing where you are on your journey with vascular disease, insulin resistance, diabetes, and evaluating many of your own lifestyle issues that determine your longevity and vitality can be very revealing.
“Wellness Week” is a unique and comprehensive course which expands on the framework of our original adjunct course: Integrating Periodontal Medicine to Minimize Systemic Health Risks: Dentistry for Total Body Wellness by including many of the medical tests and exercises that this course profiles. Dr. Thompson, along with a team of health care professionals, provides information on areas of vascular health, nutrition, stress management, breathing physiology and new concepts in airway evaluation. All participants will have their own diagnostic testing to experience what we want our patients to experience as part of collaborative dental/medical care. Also included is an opportunity for a physician to review your personal health information and provide a consult about your personal test results.
It is a very robust course with significant value. The diagnostic tests that you will receive are valued, alone, at several thousand dollars and are included in the course fee. This course will give you the data and tools to help you begin to build a reputation and a brand around integrating oral health with medical health in the dental practice.
Join us for this unique, interactive and fun learning experience as you explore this new wellness practice opportunity. Change your patients’ perception of what you do for them, and increase the value of the services you provide as dentistry moves away from the “Esthetic Revolution” and towards the growing “Health Revolution”.
- Methodology to Integrate a Personalized Periodontal Medicine Policy - Transition your hygiene team into periodontal therapists with the information and tools to play a key role in fighting periodontal disease and inflammation.
- Introduce areas of Systemic Health Inflammatory Management – discuss the early identification of Heart Disease, Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, Metabolic Syndrome, and Hypertension.
- Discuss Management of Oral, Sinus and Gut Yeast imbalances and the role of probiotics in gut health.
- Introduce Healthy Lifestyle concepts in hydration, sleep hygiene, exercise, nutrition, and stress management.
- Medical and Dental Health History Reviews – custom Kois medical and dental health histories, as well as a supplemental medical history provided by our physician team will be used to uncover risks and trends in evaluating patients.
- Metabolic Screening – course participants will receive a comprehensive Metabolic Panel including: Fasting Glucose & Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, HbA1c, Insulin, C-Peptide and Homocysteine. Research suggests 70% of heart attack and stroke risk is driven by premature aging of the glucose metabolism mechanisms.
- Inflammatory Panel – course participants will receive a comprehensive inflammatory panel including: Myeloperoxidase, Lp-PLA2, Microalbumin/Creatinine, OxLDL, and ADMA/SDMA and hsCRP. Since inflammation is the driver of heart attack and strokes - everyone should know their inflammatory status and we want you to know yours.
- Lipids and Lipid Ratios – course participants will receive advanced lipid testing, Lp(a), and ApoB/ApoA1, will reveal important information about your lipids, the building blocks of cardiovascular disease.
- Carotid Intima Media Thickness Test - course participants will receive an ultrasound of the carotid arteries used to detect if plaque is growing in your artery walls. A 20-minute, non-invasive test, serves as a “window” to the arteries and can be used to find out how “old” your arteries are by evaluating the thickness of the artery wall.
- Essential Nutrients and Vitamins – course participants will receive an OmegaCheck, Vitamin D, and a Micro and Macro nutrient test to reveal any deficiencies that you may have causing a need for supplementation.
- Fundamentals of Nutrition - learn what we should integrate into our lives and how to guide our patients for increased longevity and vitality.
- Airway Management, Breathing and Respiration – go beyond simply recognizing sleep apnea to understand the complexity of airway issues with discussion of how anatomy, function and behavior contribute to breathing physiology. We will also review our role in oral appliance therapy.
- Opportunity to Put Wellness Lessons into Practice – the Wellness Dentistry Network. This is a tried and true methodology of tools and resources to implement wellness into your practice. Join this collaborative global network of like-minded dentists and medical professionals who strive to stay up-to-date on emerging health concepts and advances surrounding the structured process outlined in this course.